Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

WAHACA CANARY WHARF

I love Mexican food and regularly cook tacos which are a family favourite. However we rarely go out for Mexican food as there isnt an abundance of Mexican restaurants in London, plus I prefer more "street" food like the burritos or nachos or quesadillas rather than anything "posh". 

I remember going to Wahaca when it first opened 8 years ago and not realising that some of the dishes are tapas style size…..my girlfriends and I completely under ordered on the food front and then completely overdid the wine…..it was a fun night had by all.

I have been back a few times in the interim but not for a while. There are now 20 restaurants in the UK and I visited the one in Canary Wharf with my husband and daughter after an energetic afternoon ice skating. It was the day the weather turned very very cold so I was relieved when we sat down in the restaurant.

The menu is vast and so we nibbled on some tortilla chips and guacamole whilst we decided what to order.




There is a kids menu offering a choice of tacos or quesadillas and a drink for £5.25. Arabella chose the tacos and they were presented in a fun and colourful way. It was fun, but messy, and Arabella enjoyed most of it although she wasnt keen on the cheese…..very unlike my daughter!







Pascal and I ordered a big selection starting with steak tacos with chipotle salsa and crisp grilled cheese. I would have preferred melted cheese but these were really good, we gobbled them down in a couple of mouthfuls….I was tempted to order more!


We had the cheese and black bean quesadillas. These were OK, but nothing special, they should have been served with some guacamole and salsa as they were a bit bland.



We were both a huge fan of the slow cooked pork burrito which was also stuffed with black beans, shredded cabbage, green rice, crema and avocado salsa. This was jammed packed with tasty favours and perfect to share, it was a little spicy though.


It was not as spicy as the chilli chorizo fundido…..to be honest the clue was in the name…..this has to be the hottest thing we have ever eaten!! It was really good and definitely blew away any chills we had, in fact it made us sweat. I would have it again however a much milder version! Cheese and chorizo are one of my favourite combinations.





Finally we had some frijoles with chorizo, these were excellent, next time I will order two portions as Pascal and I were fighting over them.


We wanted to order more - the chicken enchiladas, the fish tacos and the empanadas but there was no room left in our tummies.

A great meal - I think Wahaca is a good place to come with a few friends as there are so many different things to try, plus it has a fun buzzy atmosphere and if you are a drinker, they do some great cocktails. If you are unsure what to order (the huge menu can seem overwhelming) they offer some set menus. My only complaint is there isnt one in Fulham….although I guess it is best for my waist line ;-)

Wahaca

The Park Pavilion,
Canada Square,
Canary Wharf,
London
E14 5FW
Tel: 0207 516 9145

Square Meal
Wahaca Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment