Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snowpocalypse II Beef Stew

We're supposed to get another 14-21 inches of snow starting after midnight tonight, and despite several unseasonably warm days, we still have 8-10 inches of snow on the ground from the Christmas storm plus some additional snow last week. Needless to say clinic will be closed, and I'm cooking up some stew for a warm and cozy snowed-in day tomorrow. With that amount of snow, the plows can push up banks 4-6 feet high at the end of the driveway - they probably won't melt completely until late April or May! Well, here's the recipe of the evening (as usual, thrown together):

*Carton of beef broth
*Glug glugX 30 or so of red wine
*A pound of grassfed stew meat (usually I would brown this but I was feeling "slow and gentle cooking methods" today, or perhaps "lazy.")
* one onion (chopped)
* three small potatoes, peeled and chopped
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 1/4 cup cooked rice (to thicken - leftover excess from fried rice in the fridge)
* 4 marrow bones, roasted at 350 in the oven on a cookie sheet for half an hour, then put with tongs into the stew
* 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
* a bit of baby spinach, chopped
* Celtic Sea Salt�, Light Grey, By The Grain & Salt Society, Coarse Ground, 1 lb, pepper, kelp flakes (that's just the amazon link - of course I don't use a pound of salt!)

Boil on high for a bit, then set to low and boil for a long time. Toward the end I will add some chunks of pasture butter and maybe even some olive oil. Remove the bones before you eat! I usually use 2 bones, but I found a source of grassfed marrow bones not 2 miles from the house, so now I don't have to wait for my (infrequent) 50 pound orders of grassfed beef + marrow bones from my home state. This will feed four of us several times for a couple of days, so I don't sweat the rice and potatoes.

Here's a picture from a previous winter - maybe I will have some new ones tomorrow!


Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment